Friday, October 14, 2011

And then there were 5

"Being a Family means you are a part of something very wonderful.

It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life.

No matter what."





Life has been such a whirlwind lately. In a good way...




Because of our own individual feelings Daniel and I have always wanted to have adoptive children in our family; Even when we were both younger, long before we got married. I thought it was so interesting that as a guy, he had even thought about this. As a girl I don't think it is unusual at all - considering we have our wedding, number of kids and kids names picked out by the time were are ten.


Adopting is something we have always talked about. Up until the beginning of this year we had not pursued anything with it though. While I was on maternity leave {yes, that means with a newborn baby} I could not stop thinking about adoption. It would keep me up at night and I found myself reading multiple articles about it in 'Parents' magazines. After a few weeks of this nonstop feeling, I brought it up to Daniel. Not the way we normally have talked about it in the past. I told him that I strongly felt like we need to start putting our name out there. We need to start the process. Understandable that he was a little hesitant to do this, since he is still in school, working full time and not to mention we have a newborn baby.



I ignored his hesitations and went ahead and started calling around. I just wanted to see what the process required. Because we are not infertile no company would take our information. Which I can respect. The last thing either of us want to do is take away from families that cannot have children naturally.



Although the strong feeling stayed with me, I put it in the back of my head as much as possible.



One day Daniel was talking to a family friend about kids and life, etc. and she brought up a friend of hers that is pregnant and looking to give the baby up but for one reason or another had not gone through an agency. Going along with the conversation, Daniel just mentioned that one day he and I would like to adopt, not thinking much more of his remark.



Not long after that, the family friend approached me and asked me if we were serious about it. Of course I said yes, because it IS something we were serious about.




Skipping details of knowing this is right for us.....



We have met with the biological mother a few times and she has decided to choose us as parents for this little girl that is due the beginning of next year.



So in under 9 months time we will have gone from a family of three to a family of five. We feel so extremely blessed to have such wonderful, beautiful little boys in our family and also this opportunity to add another sweet spirit to our family!


2 comments:

Marcie Jean said...

I'm so freaking excited for you!!!! I told Matt about it and we both think it's the coolest thing that you guys are doing! Hopefully we'll be lucky enough to join you in this someday! :)
Next on the list....names???
So glad to see you blogging again, Heather! You write beautifully! :)

Angie said...

Heather! I am so excited for you! What a fun adventure :) You always inspire me... thank you for blogging :)